13.11.12

Wholesome Eats & Thanks


When it comes to the culinary arts, I lack all talents and ability except for the ones that include criticism and consumption. Being the only vegetarian in my extended American family, I spend the fourth Sunday of every November trying to make dinner for one, whilst being bullied out of the oven and around the kitchen by a large featherless bird.

During Thanksgiving, and the food preparation that precedes it, I am especially thankful for the Internet. As of late I have been looking for quality meat-less recipes I can enjoy with the rest of the table. 

Last year I half-successfully (took a few tries) conjured up a few dishes that were très magnifique.  These included: Artichoke & Red Bell Pepper Risotto, Ricotta Gnocchi on Fresh Baby Spinach, and Tofu Parmigiana w/ Fire-Roasted Tomatoes. 

However this year I came upon an article on The New York Times website with an array of season-appropriate vegetarian meals. It lists everything from sandwiches to soups to scones, all of which look delicious, but I set aside a few winners from this article and others. 
(and yes I am one of those pumpkin-crazed crazies)


Thanksgiving Meal Plan 2012

Beverages
☙San Pellegrino w/ squeezed lemon and lime
☙Spiced Chai Tea

Harvest Galette
H'ordeuvres
Garlicy Hummus w/ Baked Pita or sliced veggies

Garniture

Risotto
Entrees

Afters
 *Note: Queen Janice reccomends for the pumpkin cheesecake, using non-dairy cream cheese and adding a sprinkle of pixie dust to enhance magical taste
☙ Cappuccino

Even if your family is not vegetarian why not change up the traditional starch-filled, cholesterol-high courses a bit? 
I might end up being the only one eating my risotto and galette, but I know no meat-lover will be able to the desserts.

Happy vegetables, 
Kateland